Dorothy Raynor wrote:
>  mother, who is 78, has just been diagnosed with PD, based on the fact that
> she told her doctor that she is getting really bad on her feet, and that her
> hands are shaky.  Her hands have been shaky for many years - she is on many
> medications - antidepressants, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and on and
> on.  She also mixes alcohol with these medications, although this isn't talked
> about.  She does not get out much, is not interested in anything except
> sleeping,  I'm very frustrated with this, and
> the fact that the doctor gave her medication for PD based on the above

Dorothy,
You are wise to be concerned. Most likely the doctor has given her a
thorough checkup, and in fact may have been monitoring her for some
time, based on what you have related. However, her use of multiple
medications, particularly combined with alcohol and a sedentary
lifestyle, could cause some of the effects you mention. People have been
misdiagnosed with PD.

I think it would be a good idea to speak with her doctor personally, and
to get a second opinion if you are not satisfied.
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,