At 10:41 PM 7/7/96 -0400, Evie wrote:

>To All Concerned:
>I've visited the White House and they throw away all mail that has been
>typed.  By signing just your name might not be enough.

         My understanding is that recipients gauge how much energy was
expended by the sender.    When the NRA or the Fundies stuff the mailsacks
with xerox copies of the same exact letter, it does not command near the
attention a sack filled with handwritten, hand-stamped, old-fashioned
letters each with its own original wording would command.
        I don't think any recipient would ignore free demographic data, but,
in their minds, one individual mailing could very well represent the
thoughts of many voters who never follow through with a written submittal
whereas a mass mailing probably represents the thoughts of every possible
human the mass mailer interest group could  convince to participate.
        Madison Avenue used to use a rough rule of thumb that each letter of
congratulations or complaint about a television show meant seventeen other
people who felt the same way but would never get around to actually writing.

                             TRW Spacecraft Operations East
                                    14320 Sullyfield Circle
                                         Chantilly VA 22021
                                             (703) 802-1863