At 01:49 PM 7/11/96 -0400, Cathy Smith wrote:

>After reading a number of recent posts, I feel compelled to share my
>viewpoint regarding the Udall Bill and the dilemma arising from the
>possibility that some research money may be used for fetal tissue
>transplants.
>Many of us truly believe that life begins at conception and that abortion,
>for any reason, is deliberately taking a life.
<snip>
>Please understand why so many of us believe that it is wrong to rely on the
>death of an individual in order to improve another's quality of life.  Let us
>be mutually sensitive to each others concerns.

                A former governor of Pennsylvania named Robert Casey (a
strong pro-life advocate, by the way) had a heart transplant while he was
serving as governor.   That heart came from a man who had been murdered.
The fact is plain and simple that this particular transplant came from the
body of a murder victim, and the murder of a fellow human being is
undoubtedly a deplorable crime.   However, unless governor Casey was
personally responsible for having the man murdered, or, unless the victim
was murdered by someone else for the purpose of providing organs to be
transplanted, would you have denied the governor access to the healthy heart
that saved his life?

                             TRW Spacecraft Operations East
                                    14320 Sullyfield Circle
                                         Chantilly VA 22021