>My father's neurologist considers himself very conservative in treatment
>recommendations but has told my dad to consider having a Pallidotomy soon
>b/c the drugs he's on don't seem to be working as well as they have in the
>past. In fact, he's now getting dizzy spells from the Sinemet (says the
>doctor).
>
>My dad's had PD for 12 years and he is very RIGID -- no tremor at all.

First, because your dad has had PD for 12 years tells us it is truly PD and
not atypical parkinsons.  thats the good news.  weather a pallidotomy is
right for him depends.
Currently there are only three centers that use very specific
neuro-electromapping and invasive neuro monitoring.  These are the only
centers i would send my own father to.  These centers are New York
University Medical center in NY.  Emery University in Georgia, and Toronto
Canada.  Canada is out because of insurance reasons.

>We went to see a neurosurgeon (Dr. Anderson, Loyola, Chicago) and he
>recommended a bilateral Pallidotomy. He can get it as soon as August.

Some do not ever need bilateral Pallidotomy done. The worst side should be
done first, then the second side 6 months or later on.

>My questions are:
>
>Has anybody on this list or someone they know had this operation?

My fater is currently getting ready for a Pallidotomy at NYU.  His
Neurologist is Dr. Mark at Robert wood Johnson University Hospital.  The
Neurologist at NYU is Dr. Fazzini, and the nerosergeon in Dr. Alterman.

>Will this operation improve my dad's quality of life significantly?

For many symptoms it will improve his quality of life.  Elemination of
Dyskenesia on the effected side.  Less side effect and mor benefit from
sinemet as well as others.

>Will it only aid his arms and legs or does it affect his digestion, etc?

If will do more for him physically than just fix arms and legs.  Digestion I
don't know?

>Should I find another surgeon? This Dr. has only done the Pallidotomy 15 times.
They have dome 124 Pallidotomy's at NYU with only one case of hemmorage.
All other patients did remarkably well.

Any questions you can e-mail me direct at

or

Peace!
Vinny