Hello, All:
On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Ron Reiner wrote:

>I hate to keep tantalizing folks but here is another report of a new
>Parkinson's drug.  This is from Newspage Direct which wants $4.00 for the
>full 200 word story.  This, of course is an outrageous amount of money and
> I will try further research.  If anyone has heard of this please comment>

I confess I stayed away from Healthgate(Newspage Direct) all day by keeping
myself busy with telephoning and addressing post cards, but then curiosity
got the better of me and I paid the $4.00 to get the following news flash:
First Appro For SB's ReQuip Comes From The UK

Source: Marketletter

Marketletter July 15, 1996 via Individual Inc. : SmithKline Beecham's drug
ReQuip (ropinirole) has received approval for marketing from the UK
licensing authorities for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. This is the
world's first approval for ReQuip, the company points out. Approval
applications have also been filed in the USA, Canada, France and Italy.

Commenting on the news, SB Pharmaceuticals, Europe, chairman Bradley Wilson
expressed particular pleasure at the broad labelling claim (for the
treatment of idiopathic Parkinson's in early stages, alone or in combination
with low-dose L-dopa) that has been approved, enabling many Parkinson's
sufferers, including those in the early stages of the disease, to benefit
from this new product.

A UK launch is planned very shortly, and a company spokesman told the
Marketletter that ReQuip would be priced comparably with other newer
dopaminergic agonists. This means an average yearly maintenance cost of
between L1,000  and L1,500 ($1,559-$2,338).

In the world's leading six or seven pharmaceutical markets, sales of
existing Parkinson's disease drugs are estimated at around L500 million,
with the UK taking a share of just under L38 million, industry sources told
the Marketletter, and ReQuip is expected to take market share from this.

Clinical Evidence ReQuip is a potent, specific, non-ergoline dopamine D2
agonist with a novel chemical structure. The molecule is smaller and simpler
than those of ergoline dopamine agonists, and resembles naturally-occurring
dopamine more closely than currently available dopamine agonists, SB notes.
In clinical trials, when ReQuip was compared with L-dopa, both medicines
showed similar efficacy in early disease, and studies published earlier this
year (Marketletter April 8) reinforced the value of the product in
early-stage treatment.

[07-09-96 at 14:46 EDT, Copyright 1996, Marketletter]
What time does the Washington swithboard open for business?  Today Barbara
Schirloff discovered that the post office opens at 4 AM, although she did
not get her first Priority Mail packets  of Udall cards in until 6 AM -- I
don't know Barb, you'll have to do better! :>))
Let's keep Movin'
Margaret Tuchman