Margaret Tuchman wrote:

> Hello, All:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Ron Reiner wrote:
>
> >I hate to keep tantalizing folks but here is another report of a new
> >Parkinson's drug.  This is from Newspage Direct which wants $4.00 for the
> >full 200 word story.  This, of course is an outrageous amount of money and
> > I will try further research.  If anyone has heard of this please comment>
I ran a couple of searches (hotbot.com) and found this article on Ropinirole; it
doesn't add too much information but I thought some might find it interesting. It's
from March 1996;

Ropinirole Relieves Symptoms of Early Parkinson's Disease

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., -- March 26, 1996 -- Results of three clinical studies
demonstrating the effectiveness of ropinirole,
a dopamine D2 receptor agonist, for the treatment of patients with early Parkinson's
disease, were presented today at the
American Academy of Neurology.

-- A six month multicenter, double-blind, placebo-control study on the efficacy and
safety of ropinirole evaluated in patients
with Parkinson's disease who had previously not been treated with any anti- Parkinson
therapy, was reported by David
Wheadon, MD, SmithKline Beecham (NYSE: SBH, SBE). Two hundred forty one patients
participated in the study. The
ropinirole treated patients showed a statistically significant difference in improved
motor function over placebo-treated patients
(+24 percent for ropinirole versus -3 percent for placebo), using the Unified
Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) motor
score. Additionally, a statistically significant difference was noted between
treatment groups for L-dopa rescue -- 29 percent
for placebo compared to 11percent for ropinirole-treated patients. Ropinirole was
well- tolerated. The majority of adverse
events were related to peripheral dopaminergic activity.

-- In the second study, Professor Amos D. Korczyn, Ichilor Hospital, Tel Aviv,
Israel, presented data from a planned six
month interim analysis of a three-year, double-blind, multicenter study comparing
ropinirole and bromocriptine, a currently
available therapy for Parkinson's disease, in patients with early Parkinson's
disease. Comparing the UPDRS motor scores in
the non-selegiline groups, there was a statistically significant difference in
improvement between ropinirole (34 percent)
compared to bromocriptine (20 percent). (Selegiline is commonly used as adjunctive
therapy in the management of
Parkinsonian patients.)

-- The third study compared the efficacy and safety in patients with early
Parkinson's disease treated with ropinirole alone or
with L-dopa alone. Professor O. Rascol, Laboratoire de Pharmacologie Medicale et
Clinique, Toulouse, France, presented
data at a six month planned interim analysis of a five year, double-blind,
L-dopa-controlled study in 268 patients. The results
showed that ropinirole was effective in early Parkinson's disease, successfully
maintained patients for six months and delayed
the introduction of L-dopa for that time period. However, the results of the
five-year study are needed to determine whether
the delays in the introduction of L-dopa reduce the later-stage complications.

Parkinson's disease is progressive with the symptoms increasing in severity with the
duration of the disease. Between 500,000
and one million Americans are estimated to be diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. The
major symptoms associated with
Parkinson's disease including tremors, jerking motions, a shuffling walk or short
gait and balance problems. More severe
symptoms include severe or intense tremors, limited mobility, difficulty turning and
increased
psychiatric symptoms.

A fourth study showing the effectiveness of ropinirole as adjunctive therapy in
Parkinson's disease patients not optimally
controlled with L-dopa will be presented on Thursday.

Ropinirole (Requip(TM), SmithKline Beecham) is currently under review at the United
States Food and Drug Administration.