An Irishman in Dublin walks into some bar for the first time.  He orders
three pints of Guinness and sits in the back room of the bar, drinking a sip
out of each one of the pints in turn.  When he finishes the three pints he
heads back up to the bar and orders three more pints.  The bartender tells
the man that the beer would be fresher if he ordered only one pint at a time.

The man replies, "Well, you see, sir, I have two brothers.  One is in
America.  One is in Australia.  And I am the only one still here in Dublin.
As we all left to go our separate ways we promised that we'd drink this way
to remember the nice days that we had and the times we drank together."  At
that, the bartender nodded approvingly.

The man becomes a regular at that bar, and always drank in the same manner:
three pints, and drinking them in turn.  One day in late February he comes
into the bar and orders only two pints.  The bartender and the other
regulars notice the missing pint and, guessing its significance, become silent.

When the man returns for the second round, the bartender says, "I don't want
to interrupt you in your time of sorrow, but, since you are such a faithful
customer, I feel that I should offer my condolences."  The man looks
momentarily confused then says, "Oh no, no cause for grief.  I've just given
up beer for Lent."

                             TRW Spacecraft Operations East
                                    14320 Sullyfield Circle
                                         Chantilly VA 22021