What a wonderful newsgroup! So informative, and a generally optimistic
tone.

I am 57 years old. I was diagnosed tentatively 12 years ago, after a
severe motor car accident.  There was some confusion concerning treatment
and symptoms, due in part to the labyrinthine and Machiavellian
machinations of our motor accident claims courts and insurance companies.

That out of the way, I was summarily discharged from government service
(Attorney General's Department) on the results of a "medical board" (our
quaint term for "we don't want the responsibility anymore.) with a small
pension.

After I moped around for a year feeling sorry for myself, my wife had had
enough, and suggested I apply for a part-time position as a teacher at the
local technical college.

Oh! Blessed above all women!

It was the making of me.  I had previously taken several training courses
in computer hardware and software, in preparation for the computerisation
of the Court systems, so was able to convince the college to employ me at
a low level.

One thing led to another, and here I am, a teacher at Diploma of
Information Technology level.  What a wife, huh?!

As well as getting me out of the doldrums, and into something I loved, it
meant that I was approached to take part in local research into the
effectiveness of computer usage, including game play, in the
rehabilitation of CVA (stroke) sufferers.

At present, partly as a result of the previous study, and partly as a
result of the fact that the leader of the previous team *also* has PD, and
is the driving force behind this new study, I
am currently engaged in an epidemiological study into the possible causes
of PD, the symptomology of sufferers, and the welfare needs of both
sufferers and carers (the too-often forgotten part of the equation),

In October, our team is going to Beijing at the invitation of Professor
Tong Zhi Fu, Director of the Dept. of Epidemiology, Beijing Institute of
Geriatrics.  Professor Tong is interested in comparing our results with a
Chinese study of the incidence of PD in a sample of *3 million people*
(!).

There was a low incidence in the Chinese study, which would seem to equate
with the data of the Udall Bill, as it relates to US citizens of Chinese
background.

Professor Tong is also interested in doing a comparative study of Chinese
people living in Sydney, NSW, Australia, to compare lifestyles, diet,
etc.

This would involve Dr Daniel Chan, who is already undertaking his own
study into possible genetic indicators of PD, and also the effects of
adrenaline and related antagonists, as they affect PD.
(I dont't know about you, but excitement of *any* kind ain't good for *my*
"twitches"!)

I am the computer/data-processing/statistical analysis "boffin" of the
team. Any good outcomes from the research won't make *my* life any easier,
but may improve my outlook at the end.

This was turning into a novel! Time to sign off, and wish all
correspondents as much luck and good health as you can stand, and a big
"Thank you!" to all carers.

James F. Slattery, J.P., MACS

[Jim, to you.  :-)    ]