James F. Slattery wrote:
> I am a PD sufferer, and am trying to continue working.  I have on/off
> times which I find difficult to govern.
> In an area of the Web on alternative medecine, I saw a claim that the
> amino acids L-TYROSINE and L-GLUTAMATE were beneficial to PD sufferers, in
> that they aided the uptake of l-dopa.
> In view of your comments about "... large neutral amino acids...", could
> you comment on this. (I know nothing of the subject.)

Jim,
To the best of my understanding, in the early stages of PD the brain
produces dopamine in reduced amounts. The Sinemet boosts this amount up
to normal, so a steady supply of dopamine reaches the brain, and "off"
times don't occur. Later on, the brain ceases to produce dopamine at
all, and must rely totally on Sinemet. I believe it is at this time that
off times start to occur.

The problem at this point is that the six large neutral amino acids
(isoleucine, leucine, valine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and tyrosine),
five of which are essential aminos, must cross the cells of the
intestine to get into the blood. Once in the blood, they must cross the
blood-brain barrier to get into the brain. Sinemet also must cross the
intestine and the blood-brain barrier. And the LNAAs and sinemet use
exactly the same carrier system to get across.

Therefore, a meal high in protein combined with Sinemet can seriously
interfere with Sinemet absorption, particularly at the brain. Research
indicates that about two-thirds of people who experience "on-off"
periods can benefit by adjusting their protein intake. Others do not
seem to benefit.

As Camilla pointed out, though, there is some confusion between sinemet
and Sinemet CR. Sinemet CR (controlled-release) is designed to be
released slowly into the blood over a long period of time, and is best
taken with food. Regular Sinemet, however, is best taken 30-60 minutes
before a meal. Some people use both Sinemet and Sinemet CR; these should
take Sinemet on an empty stomach and Sin. CR with meals.

For those wishing to adjust their protein intake, there are 3 ways
currently considered feasible. 1) Ingest the RDA for protein (.8 grams
protein per kg body weight) spread evenly throughout the day; 2) ingest
the RDA for protein, taking almost all of it in the evening to increase
daytime mobility; 3) ingest the RDA for protein spread throughout the
day, in a 7-to-1 ratio with carbohydrate. This should be discussed with
one's physician first. For most people, it would be helpful to work
closely with a registered dietitian, who can determine individual
protein needs, and provide accurate information on the amounts of
protein and carbohydrate in foods.

My own theory is that plant protein may be a good choice for part of the
protein ingested. This is because plant protein contains a high ratio
of carbohydrates to protein, whereas, meat, fish, poultry contain almost
no carbohydrate. Carbohydrate breaks down into glucose in the gut, and
large amounts of glucose in the blood cause insulin release. Insulin
scavenges amino acids from the blood and may help lower the competition
between aminos and Sinemet.

Regarding the alternative medicine website, I have not seen any
scientific references to the effect that L-tyrosine/L-glutamate would
assist l-dopa uptake. I am in favor of alternative medicine where it is
medically sound; however, much quackery abounds, and I recommend great
caution here. Perhaps others on the list have heard more about this; I
would appreciate any information.

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,