Att: Melody Winkelmann.

On April 3, 1995, you thoughtfully shared with the net group the news
story in that day's Charlotte (NC) Observer concerning a study by
researchers at Duke University and staff of Metrolina Memory Center.
The focus of the story was the study of two or more blood relatives who
have Parkinson's. As you may remember, we followed up with Linda Ingle at
the Center inasmuch as my brother (in Houston, TX) and I (in Columbia, MO)
have PD. Later, in August 1995, we had a letter from Monica M. Larson, RN,
Clinical Nurse Coordinator at Carolina Neurological Clinic in Charlotte,
outlining details of the study and requesting additional information
about our health progression.

After we wrote you on the net in April that we had offered to participate,
you asked that we let us know about our experiences in the study. That is
what prompted this posting.

During the more than 15 months interval, we had occasional contact with
coordinators, including Monica Larson of Carolina Neurological Clinic, and
most recently with Jenny Beach, RN., Research Coordinator,
at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. She requested, inter alia,
that blood samples be sent to Duke Univ. for study of DNA. She explained
that the researchers were seeking to determine if there are hereditary
factors in cases of PD.

My blood samples (four tubes) have been sent to Duke by Express Mail and
should have been delivered yesterday, July 12. We have no idea when and
what we will hear next from the research teams, but if anything
significant develops, we will pass along the information.

Thank you again for letting all of us on the net know of the newspaper
story as we would not have known about the study otherwise. And we're
glad to have had the opportunity to participate.

Lee.

A. Lee [log in to unmask]