Dear All:
Evie raises legitimate concerns regarding the efficacy of sending post
cards.

>Date:          Sun, 7 Jul 1996 22:50:40 -0400
>From:  Evie <[log in to unmask]
To All Concerned:
>I've visited the White House and they throw away all mail that has been
>typed.  By signing just your name might not be enough.
>
>I believe in sending these postcards. I wish that some one could get back
>to me to tell me that these will be read.  If some of you could write a
>sentence or two with your name on it, it would be mean more.
>Thanx.

Before committing to another large order of Udall cards, Barbara
Schirloff and I made some phone calls to find out (1) were the cards
received by the legislators, (2) were they noticed because of the volume and
difference from the usual "letter" format and (3) how did they feel about
receiving the cards?

I called each office of the BIG FIVE -- the people answering the phone
assured me that all mail is tallied and that snail mail correspondence is
preferred to fax or e-mail. Something hand-written is more meaningful than
typed, which is why the Instruction Insert being mailed with the card orders
suggests that a personal note should be hand written on the cards. Barbara's
information was similar.

This fact finding mission together with the encouragement we received from
Jim Cordy, the P.A.N. office and most importantly your enthusiasm and
willingness to work hard were the deciding factors to continue with the
mailing. I DO THINK that we should follow up and phone the offices to which
cards are being sent.  It is an excellent approach to strengthen our thrust!
I quote from a post sent by Ivan Suzman:
>IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, WE PWP'S OUGHT TO MAKE AS MANY CALLS AS POSSIBLE.
>The number again, is 1-800-962-3524.  Please share this tel. number widely.
>P.S. Using this 800 number, and also the local Rhode Island tel. no., my
>family and I have gotten commitments from both Reps. (Reed and Kennedy) to
>CO-SPONSOR THE UDALL BILL!! Bottom line--the 800 number works!

We must fight with all our energies and on all fronts -- now is the time to
pull together and conquer! We cannot afford to sit back and give up!

Let's get to work -- the post office is open for business!!
Margaret Tuchman