Thank you, Ivan Suzman, for the info on Kassenbaum's legislative aide, Dr.
Kent Bradley.  I used the switchboard number, 1-800-962-3524.  He is
apparently on Kassebaum's staff on the Senate Committee on Labor and Human
Resources, so it is quickest to ask the switchboad for that committee.

I explained that I was following up on my letter to Kassebaum of May 20 on
the Udall bill.  The fact that I had written an [unanswered] letter (which he
had not seen) and the fact that I was from Kansas were both of interest to
him.  I asked him what Kassebaum's position was and what was the likehood of
it coming out of committee this session.

He said they were reworking the entire NIH authorization, and at this point
they weren't targeting individual diseases.  BUT I believe he said there was
an INCREASE for neurological diseases as a group.  Hopefully, they'll get
this bill before the committee this session, and it may be at this point that
some portions of the Udall bill [which ones?] may stand a chance of being
tacked on.  There seems to be very little chance that either the NIH
re-authorization or Udall by itself will go to the
Senate this summer session.

Bradley is going to send me a summary of the [NIH] legislation.  I plan to
write him direct this week and follow up by phone again.

Are there any other Kansans on this list besides Jack Savely and myself who
are calling or writing for Udall?

Barbara Blake-Krebs