Hello All,
My name is Roy Edwards.
I have just joined the list after reading David Langridge's very informative
article in  the June 96 magazine of the PD Society of the UK. It made me
aware of what is available on the PD front.
I emailed the subscribe command and in no time at all found my screen full of
messages from around the world ! One of these was a very welcoming message
from Barbara Patterson (Thank you, Barb. The personal approach was very much
appreciated) suggesting that I write a message to introduce myself to the
membership. Here we go:

I am 58 years old and live in England.
I am married with two daughters (26 & 29).
I was diagnosed three and a half years ago.
I was a lecturer in mathematics at a University College and the first symptom
that I had, possibly unusual for a first symptom, was trouble with my voice.
I found that after a short time into a lecture my voice went very hoarse and
quiet. This was, at first , thought to be a throat problem  and PD was not
diagnosed under other symptoms appeared later on.
I retired from lecturing and am now a full time writer of maths text books
for schools. I realise that I have been very fortunate in being able to make
this change of career as, being my own boss now, I can adjust my timetable if
my medication is coming to the end of its run and there is still a while to
the next dose.

Once diagnosed, I went on to Madopar and life began again ! So far this has
been effective in allowing me to live a more or less normal, active life (I
was able to visit Canada and the USA last Summer 95). I have to admit that at
times I  get black thoughts at the planning of medication that is involved
 to adjust to a change of routine but most of the time I am impressed by the
amount of work and research that is going on around the world and I am
positive and optimistic about the future. I am particularly excited by the
activity that is going into the Udall Bill . I realise that this has
world-wide implications. I send everyone who is involved in its progress
every good wish for a successful campaign.
I do a lot of exercise as I find that this gives me a boost. I recently
joined a yoga class that concentrates on `stretch and tone` and I find this
very beneficial.

I guess this is about it. I am happy to have joined the list and look forward
to making new friends and exchanging information and experiences.
Best wishes,
Roy
[log in to unmask]     (Roy Edwards)