It has been several weeks since I joined this list and its time I
introduced myself. My name is Martha Rohrer. I am the caregiver for my
husband, Neal, who was diagnosed with PD in 1986. We live in the San
Joaquin Valley of California. Neal is a retired business education
teacher and I am a retired professor of foods and nutrition and a
retired Registered Dietitian. We are finding your communications very
helpful. Often, as we read them, we nod and say, "yep, been there, done
that." It is comforting to know we are not alone in our experiences.

Neal has a problem which I have not seen discussed, and I have not
found much in the literature about it so far. Lately, he has been
having difficulty reading, particularly in the morning with the
newspaper. He tends to see double. Our ophthalmologist tells us this is
a recognized problem in advanced staged of PD, but he had no helpful
suggestions. Our neurologist told us eye exercises would not help
because of the unique way these muscles function. Neal quit driving a
couple of years ago. Part of the reason was the problem he had when he
turned his head to the side. There was a very slight delay in visual
tracking that was worrisome. He still has this problem and the delay is
more obvious now and it contributes to his problems with balance. Does
anyone have any information about these effects?

One thing that can be said about PD is that it is an interesting
affliction. We have learned to appreciate a day that is ordinary and
humdrum with no excitement. Those of us who are coping with
hallucinations appreciate a little dullness, although I admit to having
been quite intrigued one recent night to learn that our bedroom was
being shared by a large number of Japanese gentlemen. It was less
amusing to awaken another morning and find our kitchen had been trashed
in the night by a non-existant number of strangers who refused to talk
to Neal as he tried to stop them. Fortunately, these events are
infrequent and only occur when he has taken one or another of the drugs
he has to relieve his leg pain or to help him sleep. We have learned we
have to be very careful with these powerful medications.

Sorry to be so verbose, but thanks for listening.

Martha  ([log in to unmask])