Alan Bonander writes:

>  4.  I don't know why Eldepryl is not given at lower doses.  I know of many
>patients that have dropped daily Eldepryl to 5 mg or less and found benefits.

The most recent Life Extension Foundation magazine has a fairly in-depth
review of the widely varying studies of deprenyl (eldepryl). Life Extension
has been a strong promoter of deprenyl use for a variety of situations; in
light of the most recent data they have revised their recommended doses of
deprenyl down to as low as 1.5 mgs per day, also allowing for a dose as high
as 10 mg/day in some situations.

My personal experience and evaluation of the data I have seen has been that
deprenyl has a definite therapeutic  value for PD patients, and I have felt
for a long time that 10 mgs/day was probably overkill. As Alan pointed out,
the wash out period for deprenyl is considered to be 2-3 weeks. I currently
use 3-4 mgs/day of the liquid deprenyl, and am intellectually satisfied with
that. I sure hope I am neuronally as happy with that choice as I am
intellectually!!

Kathie Tollifson