From:   IN%"[log in to unmask]" 17-JUL-1996 12:28:48.92
To:     IN%"[log in to unmask]"
CC:
Subj:   Udall bill accepted as amendment

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:28:27 -0500 (CDT)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
From: [log in to unmask] (Lynn Walker)
Subject: Udall bill accepted as amendment
To: [log in to unmask]

I just received a phone call from Dennis Strickland in Senator Frist's
office (Frist is on Kassebaum's committee).  He reported that the
committee accepted a version of the Udall bill as an amendment to the
NIH Revitalization Bill, in a meeting this morning.  The only major
change from the original bill is that the amendment authorizes 80 million
rather than 100 million dollars.

According to Strickland, there are still significant hurdles.  The next
step is for the NIH bill to go onto the Senate floor.  Apparently that
may be difficult to arrange because "the calendar is coming to a close."
He said one option would be for the bill to be passed under a
"unanimous consent agreement".  This is where there is an agreement
that there would be no debate about the bill when it comes up for a
vote in the Senate.  This is something that Kassebaum would have to
work out with Trent Lott's office.

Do we have some people listening who are familiar with these procedures
and can advise us on where we should put our efforts in the next months?
Should we join forces with other groups who want to get the NIH bill
passed before Congress recesses?  Should we continue to send postcards
regarding co-sponsorship of the Udall bill or should we focus more
broadly on the NIH bill?  We may need to continue working on co-sponsorship
in case it doesnt work out as an amendment.  Ideas, anyone?

Lynn Walker