Barb Yacos (responding):

I'm doing fine with the unilateral pallidotomy, so far... Been 19 months since
the surgery and if and when the other side needs doing, it'll get done with no
trepidation.... errrrrrr..... providing Medicare will cover it then.  I know
they've stopped or have become very selective about pall. coverage claiming it
to be "experimental."   Experimental?  They're performing it all over the
place now!  GIMME A BREAK!

The high dose of Motrin has helped the pinched nerve alot and I feel human
again (thank goodness!).  It was like going thru 2 weeks of unremitting labor
pain!!!

Unfortunately,  having been initially prescribed Tegretol for the condition by
the MDs at Kaiser, which set off the PD to such an extent as I've not had in
the entire 20 years of living with the disease, I've been forced to up the
Sinemet dosage considerably.  Am now bringing the dosage down a bit each day,
and the symptoms are slowly lessening day by day.  WHEW!!  Creepy experience!!
And needless to say, I'm hoping and praying that the PD symptoms on the
unoperated side fully subside now that the egretol is in the trashcan.

Realistically, I suspect that now that the "devil" has been freed, it'll not
want to go back to it's original state of non-existance, so i'll prolly find
it slowly ireasing, as is the nature of this beast we live with.

NOTE:  The side which had the pallidotomy was FINE throughout the whole
otherwise negative experience!  But the heretofor uninvolved side went Parkie
on me from the Tegretol.

Like you, Barb, my prefernce is for the shorter brain mapping/surgical
experience, and I was back in my room scarfing down a big (but typically
hospital-tasting) <YECH!> dinner within an hour of the start of the surgery.

Let us know how your second pall. goes and of COURSE, m'dear, please know I'll
be rootin' for ya the whole way!  YOU GO, GIRL!!!!!!!!

Barb Mallut,