Sydney Adams wrote:
> I take Madopar 125 also known as Sinemet [log in to unmask],1@12,1@4,[log in to unmask]
>            Dopergine [log in to unmask],1@12,1@4,1@=
7.
>            [log in to unmask],1@12
> I also take ALVOCARDYL  LP 160  for Blood Pressure [log in to unmask]
> I also have some Madopar  ,quick release at same strength which I use i=
> needy situations

Dear Syd,
I can't find references to Dopergine, Alvocardyl, or Madopar quick releas=
e in this American program. However, I=20
have a printout on interactions between Sinemet and Eldepryl. You may wis=
h to note references to hypertension,=20
or discuss them with your physician or pharmacist.

Drug interactions report for the following 2 medications:

=9ALevodopa; Carbidopa (Sinemet=AE)
=9ASelegiline (Eldepryl=AE)

Selegiline/Levodopa; Carbidopa
Administration of levodopa to patients receiving drugs that inhibit monoa=
mine oxidase (MAO) can produce a=20
hypertensive response. While traditional MAOIs such as phenelzine inhibit=
 MAO type A and selegiline is=20
selective for MAO type B, at doses above 30=9740 mg/day, this selectivity=
 is lost. Selegiline can increase=20
levodopa-induced dyskinesias, nausea, orthostatic hypotension, confusion,=
 and hallucinations. Reductions in=20
levodopa dosage may be necessary within a few days after the start of sel=
egiline treatment. Even though=20
Parkinson's disease is an indication for both selegiline and levodopa, an=
d these 2 drugs may be administered=20
together safely in some cases, patients should be monitored closely for h=
ypertensive responses, especially if=20
selegiline doses higher than 10 mg/day are used.

The adverse effects associated with levodopa, including orthostatic hypot=
ension, confusion, dyskinesias,=20
nausea, and hallucinations, can be exacerbated by concomitant administrat=
ion of selegiline. Dosages of levodopa=20
should be reduced within 2=973 days after beginning selegiline therapy.

> Diet. The greatest problem with any diet is the
>  availability of suitable foods when travelling or visiting.
> I eat as lightly as is possible at Breakfast and Lunch.I avoid almost
> entirely protein.I also do not eat Dairy products where possible.

This is well-planned for travelling; I would recommend that you use suppl=
ements of calcium, magnesium, and=20
potassium, however. These are all implicated in hypertension, heart and n=
erve health, and you do not appear to=20
partake of sources high in calcium or magnesium.=20

> Sample breakfast-Porridge made with water and Honey or All Bran with Ap=
ple
> Juice.A slice  of bread with soya butter.

This is roughly 6 grams of protein, depending on amounts. Quite low.

> Sample Lunch -Pasta and a  sauce ,of Veg and Toms. or aSoup with Veg  a=
nd
> Pasta.Fruit and maybe a digestive biscuit.

This is also about 6-10 grams of protein, depending on amounts of pasta. =
Should be about right.

> I spoil myself at night and eat Protein,Desserts.as if normal.
> All this generally works quite well,but does depend on a fairly settled=
> regime and exercise.
> It is vital that I do not become constipated hence the All Bran which i=
s> good for me.

You could also carry a small bag of prunes when you travel, if the All-Br=
an isn't sufficient. When possible, a=20
mix of applesauce, prune juice, and miller's bran is very palatable and e=
ffective for many.

> My worst time for off periods is usually in the late afternoon

Your lunch appears to be quite low in protein; however, both pasta and ve=
getables have small amounts of=20
protein. You may wish to add an extra piece of fruit; this is almost pure=
 carbohydrate, and has fiber as well.=20
The extra carbohydrates may stimulate insulin release and help store the =
amino acids in your bloodstream,=20
though I would add that everyone reacts differently.

Additionally, I would encourage you to obtain some of your evening protei=
n servings from cooked dried beans.=20
They have a much higher ratio of carbohydrate to protein than meat, poult=
ry, or fish. Also they are the food=20
highest of all in fiber, which should benefit both constipation and (to s=
ome extent) hypertension. Some PD=20
patients report good results with beans, though certainly not all. I beli=
eve France has some wonderful=20
cassoulets?

> My symptoms are-
> Initiating and sustaining movements.

I am not able to assist in this area.

>Cramping in the thighs.

It's possible that insufficient potassium could contribute to(though not =
cause) this condition. You seem to be=20
eating plenty of fruits and vegetables; but it might be worth your while =
to record all the foods you eat and=20
drink for a few days, and the time of day eaten. You can use this record =
to track the types of foods eaten=20
prior to the cramping and "off" times. If there seems to be a food patter=
n, we could try changing the diet=20
somewhat.

>General tensing
> of body.Sleeplessness..

These also are areas I am unable to assist in, a physician or another mem=
ber of the list may have advice here.=20
However, I would not hesitate to try biofeedback, acupuncture or other me=
thod to alleviate tensing and=20
sleeplessness -- some people respond, some do not.

> Signal of loss of effectiveness of medication- Toes curl and cramp.

If this is late in the afternoon after a low-protein lunch, my best sugge=
stion is, again, to add more fruit at=20
lunch. It is mostly high in potassium, which sometimes helps cramping, as=
 well as carbohydrates, which may help=20
get rid of the serum aminos.

I hope you will let me know if you are able to test this, and inform me o=
f the results. Meantime, please do=20
consider a calcium supplement--your physician may have some advice here.

Best regards,=20
--=20
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538=20
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
You may wish to contact:
Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
for further information.