                                 RTK.NET Mail 173847   Jul 17 21:36:37 1996

With this move, I believe our basic tactic of recruiting cosponsors and
getting individuals to contact their representatives will continue to be
the the way to go.  The overall message "Support the Udall" bill will
be the same, whether it's attached to the NIH Reauthorization Act or
standing on its own.  In post cards, calls, visits, or letters to Senators
who aren't on Labor and Human Resources, you may wish to point out that
legislation similar to the Udall bill will be coming to the floor as part
of the NIH Reauthorization Act (anyone know the bill number on that?) in
September.  Senators who previously gave the "I'll keep your views in
mind if it comes to a vote" response will take a greater interest now.
LAs for Health may really welcome information and/or meetings on the bill
now, even if they received the same information some time ago and filed it.

We also need to learn more about what needs to be done in the House now to
make sure the Udall bill in some form makes it onto their calendar.

More names on the cosponsor list will be important in any case, and
essential if the Reauthorization Act doesn't make it and our best hope
becomes one of those "vote without debate" attempts by the Udall bills
supporters.

It's also a good time to re-contact the offices of cosponsoring legislators
to thank them for their support and see if they or their legislative
assistants have any questions or want to receive more information.  In
some cases, the argument against disease specific research funding
requirements may have arisen after the legislator signed on and may have
become a cause of concern.  It's always good to reiterate your support for
the Udall bill in order to keep it a priority for our legislators.

Sherri

about the