Dear Fellow Advocates:

Barbara Schirloff called Sen. Hatfield's office twice and I called Sen.
Wellstone's office (he is the one who offered the PD amendment yesterday) to
clear up the REAUTHORIZATION v. REVITALIZATION issue. The winner is:

S. 1897-- THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH REVITALIZATION ACT OF 1996.

As you can see in the article, other groups are also anxiously waiting
for S. 1897 to hit the Senate floor. We must continue the calls, cards, etc!
Margaret Tuchman

WESTPORT, Jul 08 (Reuters) - The National Coalition for Cancer Research
recently asked its 18 member organizations, representing both patient
and professional groups, to write to their members in Congress in
support of S. 1897, the "National Institutes of Health Revitalization Act
of 1996."

     The bill was introduced in the Senate on June 21 by Senator Nancy
Kassebaum (R-KS) and would authorize funding for the National Cancer
Institute at $3 billion. The legislation would strike various
cancer-specific allocations for breast cancer, ovarian cancer and prostate
cancer, in support of a balanced cancer research agenda.

     According to a National Coalition for Cancer Research press release,
Dr. Albert H. Owens, Jr.,the organization's president, has written a
letter to Senator Kassebaum in which he told her, "The authorization of
funds for the NCI are appropriate given the tremendous research
opportunities that have been identified in cancer genetics, preclinical
models of cancer, detection technologies, developmental genetics and
cutting-edgeinvestigator
initiated research."

     - Westport Newsroom 203 221 7648