There was a note here recently from someone who decided to take most of his
protein foods at suppertime - keeping breakfast and lunch low on protein and
high  in carbohydrates so that his Sinemet (carbidopa/levadopa) would work
better during the day when he works.  This worked - however he noted that he
had difficulty sleeping at night and had leg cramps.

This kind of distribution of protein has bothered some people.  Especially
those of us who have restless legs syndrome.  Evening and nightime are
difficult to downright painful.  Whilst trying to relax, read, or sleep, the
twitching creepy feeling starts in the legs (and sometimes arms).  It is pure
torture.  It is difficult to explain the feelings of crawling, creeping,
pulling, tingling and twitching beneath the skin.

Sinemet seems to help but it can't get past the protein eaten  at suppertime.
 I am getting relief at the moment by eating all the day's protein before 3
p.m. and then switching to vegetable salads and fruit for the rest of the
day.  If I adhere to this regimen I can get a fairly  good night's sleep
after a pretty decent evening without leg twitches and severe muscle pains.
 If I go out for an evening of steak or ribs or fish I am in trouble.  I will
be awake all night walking and doing stretching exercises or soaking in a
 hot tub.  My husband will massage my legs with cold and hot liniments.
 Unfortunately these remedies are short lived and you promise yourself "no
more protein after 3 p.m."

If you have this problem with protein and try to overcome the  disagreeable
leg restlessness by taking more and more Sinemet at night, expect a rebound
reaction in the a.m. eventually.  You will probably wake up with twitching
restless legs and then take more Sinemet for relief and a vicious cycle sets
in.

I wonder if many people with PD have this problem with protein?  I'd like to
hear from Kathrynne Holden RD on this.  She explains nutrition for
Parkinsonians so well.  Thanks for your valuable input.

Barbara Yacos RN