> From: Linda Cooperstock <[log in to unmask]>
>      My name is Linda.  I was interested by this listserv to gain some
>      insight into PD because I have watched my previously strong father
>      (age 86) degenerate very rapidly in the last 3 years.  My mother
(15
>      years his junior) is his primary care giver and she is being worn
to a
>      frazzle.  I live far from them and am frustrated by not being
>      dedicated to the point of not seeking help.  She lives in a small
>      community, and I think his diagnosis was missed even though he was
in
>      the hospital with what I now realize were textbook symtoms of PD!
>      This makes me very angry, but it does not help him.

Since I have been involved with research into PD, I have found (at least
in this country) a deplorable lack of knowledge of PD amongst general
practitioners.  My own GP confessed to me that he had had one day's
exposure to degenerative brain disorders such as PD, Alzheimer's and
Huntington's.  At least after having me as a (im)patient, he developed
somewhat of an interest in the subject. :-)

>      My   mother belives that if she does not do all the work that she
is
>      not being a good wife.  I can't convince her to see some in-home
help.

>      But this is straying from my introduction.  I'll post more of this
in
>      appropriate places.
>
>      I see so much strength in those who are posting to this listserv.
And
>      I see that the strength can be shared by those who temporarily need
>      boost.  Keep up the good work.  No amount of money can buy what
this
>      offers.

Linda, could you obtain a copy of the "Carergivers Handbook" produced by
The Caregiver Education and Support Services, Seniors Counseling and
Training, Care Management Services, San Diego Mental Health Services, 1250
Moreno Bvld, San Diego, California, 92110.

It has a lot of sensible advice. Another good publication is Caring For
The Caregiver, by the American Parkinson's Disease Association.

These and others are available on the internet World Wide Web, PD WEB site
at
http://neuro-chief-e.mgh.harvard.edu/parkinsonsweb/Main/PDmain.html

Jim