From:   "Jim Slattery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:   Sun, 19 May 1996 02:19:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Interesting New Approach
> From: Ron Reiner <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Interesting New Approach
> Brain Function Restored Because of Testes Cells
>
> Source: Business Wire
>
> SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE) via Individual Inc. -- A
new
> technology that involves implanting cells from the testes into the brain
may
> help restore brain function in victims of Parkinson's disease, stroke,
Lou
> Gehrig's disease, traumatic brain injury and other brain disorders.

I have a "bee in my bonnet".  Putting a number of otherwise unrelated
items together, and using some "lateral thinking", I offer this for what
it is worth:

1. Some American research on treating severe burns with coverings of
artificially grown skin cloned from babies foreskins.  The clone "seed",
being relatively non-allergenic, was not rejected until the victims own
skin cells had re-grown "pushing" the "bandage" off.

2. The foetal tissue controversy.

3. An item that dopamine-producing cells had been found in the small (?)
intestine.

4. Some partly-recollected item about cloning pig cells for human
body-part replacement.

Anyone like to put that all together and produce a couple of hundred
culture trays worth of replacement cells for "parkies"?

Well, ya gotta keep hoping. :-)

Jim