The impression i got Was that morphine competes with the levadopa, in
addition to the seemingly true fact that the pain my mom experiences is
primarily due to PD, rather than any fractures or such. I don't know about
Oxycodone Camilla, but might guess that it is true. I will ask if I can
(and my best to Peter.)
John, thank you for your note, yes I was aware of Dr. Waters incredible
experience and must admit i was also very struck by her professional and
yet caring manner. And the center there at USC was very wonderful, from the
seating made so a person like my mother can actually sit somewhat
comfortably and get up by herself, to the literature, the food offered by
volunteers and to the pharmacy, where they were most informative and
helful. The only unfortunate problem is, of course, money. That part we
take day by day. In an ideal world i would just set up my mom as a regular
patient at a place like USC and not mess around with places where the
beuracracy is larger than the care and the neurologist does not specialize
in movement disorders and yet lets my mother go onto a med like
morphine....
And, Beverly.....thank you. If I haven't been sleeping so much since I've
come home I would run over and give you a hug. You are wonderful!
I talked to Jo Rosen, another wonderful person in the LA area, who has set
up not only Parkinson support groups all over, but groups made for the
children and spouses alone. I am hoping my father and brother might make it
to some of these.
The best news right now is that this morning my father called to say that
last night mom took her first dose of Clozaril and had 6 hours of
sleep...more sleep than any of us can remember in a very long time. And
she's been out in the garden and her negativity and hopelessness have taken
24 hours break. Whatever is next, is, I am certain, everchanging.
Thanks again to all you wonderful people. Perhaps the most wonderful thing
about Parkinson's disease for me is what it has taught me about people,
mainly about the incredible strength and empathy that exists.
I smile whenever I think about the people I have met thru this, for they
are the best.
debbie