Nancy 51/21 is coming out of 5 months of pure hell. As we began
adjusting medications after her pallidotomies last year (May and July)
everything was looking so good. Then about  five months ago everything
seemed to go wrong. Insomnia, depression, significant confusion, minor
hallucinations and very bad off times. She has fallen maybe 10 times
since the surgery, black and blue marks but no serious injury. Through
it all, tremor was miniamal, dyskinesia was absent but back and hip
pain and dystonia were present. Nancy sat down and typed this out the
other day and asked me if i thought it should be shared. Here it is.  I
think it is part of her recovery process. I know we would both welcome
any comments. It reflects some pretty intense feelings and it is work
in progress. Our daughter, son-in-law and two grand children visited
today. it was a wonderful visit.

July 10, 1996

It’s more than a year now and I am lost in a labyrinth of self.  I can
find no exit and I am tired beyond belief. How much longer can I
tolerate myself.  I don’t like the person I have become.  I give myself
no peace.  What am I so afraid of.   Am I not a person separate from
this disease?  Sometimes I wonder.  I thought I was being successful at
separating the physical from the emotional but now I wonder.

The tension I experience during my off times is the most intense
sensation I have ever experienced.  It starts nowhere... it is
everywhere.  To touch it is exquisite torture. The sensation is not
good or bad it’s just too much. Something must change and it has to be
me.  But what does that mean? What do I know.  I know I hurt,  I know
that I fall  and it is extremely frightening,  (Maybe the first fall
set me up)  I feel that wonderful things are within my reach.. Only I
can’t see them  It’s as if I were deaf, dumb and blind.  I cannot
function as I should.  I am becoming disparate.

Yet there are times it is so obvious that God is with me  Why does this
not empower me? O ye of little faith.  Right now I feel like leaving
the medical community completely alone and just get by with God’s help
No more medicine, surgery or anything .  What was It like to be well?
I can’t remember  but I want it so badly it hurts.  Will I ever feel
normal again.  I doubt it and that is what is driving me crazy. I
really don’t know how much longer I can or even want to go on this way
All I see are negatives.  I must get almost completely well. Can I face
the challenge after failing for a year?  Is there any health in me.? I
must find it!

Nancy Martone