Sydney Adams wrote:

> I would like to thank all of the mermbers who took the trouble to reply to
> my initial request for help.I have replied to some and will reply to all of
> your letters as soonas I can.
> My falls continue and my knees especially are beginning to suffer from the
> tumbles.
> I will try to explain again what seems to be happening to me -
> Falls occur when I least expect them to happen.
> Often occur when I am busy working  and I turn to do something or I
> suddenly notice something and hesitate momentarily.
> I am suddenly slightly off balance and my feet seem to stick and then I
> immediately feel as if my brain or balance is completely  askew and I fall
> forwards.Nothing seems to stop this happening as I can be moving well prior
> to the event.
> My only clues seem to be that I have 1)turned or changed direction,2)Stood
> up to move somewhere,3)hesitated or been distracted in what I am doing .
> I am usually feeling fine and my medication is working well.If  I am not
> going well I do not seem to fall or I take so much more care then.
> I find the falling experience a very frightening one and I suspect I become
> shocked by it.
> Anyone else have similar problems?
> Syd Adams,106072,607@compuserve,com.
>         .
Syd,

The way you describe your situation is exactly what happens to Fuad.  He
is, however, more easily distracted than average because of his stroke.

Four weeks ago Fuad was falling 3 or 4 times a day.  I woulld feel sick
to my stomach everytime I heard a slite thump in the house.  After
reading about the blue lenses we had a pair made for Fuad.  Within three
days of wearing his posture was better and for 10 days there were no
falls.  I don't know if this was a coincidence it is too early to tell.
We have also started reducing Fuad PD medications because of confusion
involved.

He has had some falls recently, but not from poor balance all of them
were brought on by his trying to hurry (answering the phone, going to
the bathroom, etc.).  I have told him not to even try to answer phone
if he is not sitting by it, but old habit are hard to break and
natural instincts kick in at the wrong time.

Syd, everyone takes a fall now and then.  But PDers need to be always
more cautious and learn to live in a slower environment.  Rushing and
anxiety seem to complicate every situation.  The best thing you can do
is remove as much stress from your life as possible, relax and try to
concentrate on your movements.

One other point.  The physical therapist told us that by working on
certain methods of walking, turning, etc. you can create beneficial
habits.  Try watching the way you turn (always turn with small steps,
not pivots). When you first stand, make yourself pause until you are
completely balanced and think about that first few steps.  The next
one is harder.  That of hesitating while walking forward.  We have
been trying the marks on the floor and concentrating on big steps, but
that doesn't help when you become distracted when walking.

I am no expert, relatively new at this disease, but I felt that maybe
some of this might be helpful.  I do feel that the blue glasses do
make a difference, but cannot say positively.  One thing though is
that Fuad claims he is more relaxed when he is wearing them. If that
is the only benefit it is worth it.

Barb CG for Fuad PD 61/3+--

[log in to unmask] (Eastern Shore of Maryland)