--------------- Forwarded Message ---------------

From:   Bob Chapman, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
To:     George M. Andes, 103075,1020
Date:   Sat, Jul 20, 1996, 12:21 PM

RE:     Olympics/Ali

-- [ From: Bob Chapman * EMC.Ver #3.0 ] --

 I watched the Olympic Opening ceremonies last night,
mostly to see who would Light The Olympic torch. Was I
surprised to see that it was Muhammed Ali. It seems to be
that everybody is talking about it and the fact that Ali
has Parkinson's Syndrome. I would like to send an e-mail
to NBC Sports and let them know there is a bill pending a
hearing in Congress to find a cure or effective treatment
of Parkinson's. Perhaps they would mention it on
international TV.
Does any one have any ideas about how to phrase such a
letter and how to find NBC Sports E-mail address. Perhaps
if they received hundreds of such letters we could get
some publicity for the Udall Bill.

Bob Chapman

Bob Chapman
E-Mail < [log in to unmask]
Sun Lakes, Arizona

Bob:

        What a great idea!  I, too, watched the torch lighting by chance because
my daughter watched.  I was overcome when I saw who it was. I have never been
shy about my condition, but then I don't often (!) appear on network TV. Ali
handled the matter with great dignity, as befits one who has faced more than his
share of adversity.
        Remember that this man was stripped of his world heavyweight title and
sent to prison for his pacifist religious belief during the Vietnam War.
Professional boxing, argueably one of the most corrupt enterprises going,
wrapped itself in the flag and took advantage of a shameful court decision that
Ali's conversion to Islam was not genuine but motivated by cowardice and a
desire to avoid the draft. Some cowardice. Would that have happened to a white
man?
        And there he stood, stooped, slow, and shaking, unashamed, and unafraid.
        Ali's message is that although PD may cripple our bodies, it has no power
over our will and our spirit.  To live life: live it.
        Get NBC to tell the whole story.  I have a great belief that truth is
always the best weapon.

George M. Andes  62/14