     Hi,

     My name is Linda.  I was interested by this listserv to gain some
     insight into PD because I have watched my previously strong father
     (age 86) degenerate very rapidly in the last 3 years.  My mother (15
     years his junior) is his primary care giver and she is being worn to a
     frazzle.  I live far from them and am frustrated by not being able to
     help.

     I work in the health sciences arena, my first 13 years of career life
     as a research microbiologist.  For the past 7 years I have been making
     use of my Master of Public Health degree by managing first a statewide
     tobacco control project, now a University Health Sciences-wide
     electronic information access project (many concepts of public health
     apply to this position, interestingly enough).

     I have enjoyed the few days I have been reading the postings. I only
     wish my mother could read them, too.  So, I will be printing and
     sending her many of the support and experience type postings. She is
     dedicated to the point of not seeking help.  She lives in a small
     community, and I think his diagnosis was missed even though he was in
     the hospital with what I now realize were textbook symtoms of PD!
     This makes me very angry, but it does not help him.

     My   mother belives that if she does not do all the work that she is
     not being a good wife.  I can't convince her to see some in-home help.

     But this is straying from my introduction.  I'll post more of this in
     appropriate places.

     I see so much strength in those who are posting to this listserv.  And
     I see that the strength can be shared by those who temporarily need a
     boost.  Keep up the good work.  No amount of money can buy what this
     offers.

     -Linda

     "The village begins at home."