  When my mother was on Risperdal (Risperidone) her Parkinson's medications
didn't work.  She cried constantly and could not walk at all.  To quote from
the manufacturer, "The mechanisms of action of Risperdal is unknown.
 However, it has been proposed that this drug's antipsychotic activity is
mediated through a combination of dopamine type 2 and serotonin type 2
antagonism." It also causes hypotension. It  lowered her blood pressure to
100/45.  Recently, in the hospital after her hip replacement surgery from a
fall, they started giving it to her again because she was pulling out all the
IVs, etc. in her delusions.  I made them stop it.  I quote from a flyer the
pharmacist gave me.  "Risperdal may antagonize the effective of levodopa and
dopamine agonists."  Maybe some of you understand this better than I.  What
exactly does that mean? This is the third time a doctor has tried to
prescribe Resperdal for her and I have had to ask him not to give it to her.
 It is not on any list of contraindicated drugs for Parkinson's patients.
 Also, what can they give her for pain?  She has been receiving Darvocet but
her confusion is really bad.  They can't do physical therapy with her because
she is so stiff and her mind cannot understand what they want her to do.
    Help!

Pam Dalby ([log in to unmask]) daughter of Ardith 74/9+