Attn:  Porter Humphrey

My husband Nelson is 74 and was diagnosed with PD six years ago.  He went
through several changes in medication over the years, adding some, dropping
some, and is currently using Sinemet, Sinemet CR, Klonopin l hr. before
dinner, Valium before lunch and at bedtime, and Vitamin C.  He uses a
morphine patch as well as liquid morphine as needed.

He is virtually paralyzed by his rigidity, forms his speech with great
difficulty and his voice is too soft to hear.  He can no longer walk or do
such things as feed himself, brush his teeth, etc.  He has difficulty
swallowing and is unable to eat certain foods.  The disease has been marked
by frequent and drastic blood pressure drops (as low as 53 over 35).  He has
never had tremors.

In April '95 he was evaluated by Dr. Abraham Lieberman for a pallidotomy and
was rejected as the doctor said they simply didn't know if it would benefit
him.  Also at that time, the doctor re-diagnosed his disease as Multi-System
Atrophy, a Parkinson's Plus category.  The fetal tissue transplant was also
rejected as having unknown benefit and his age is also against him in this.

We have found nothing in the way of medications to give further help.  We
continue to assist him in bed exercises and try to get him up to "dangle" his
legs once a day.  The most we have been able to do is try to make him as
comfortable as possible.  A tiny microphone clipped to the neck of his gown
has helped a great deal in our communication.  I can hold the amplifier near
my ear and can understand most of Nelson's conversations.

He seems to have some benefit from the medications but his routine has not
been typical of other PD patients.  He is under Hospice care and the
assistance they have given cannot be measured -- they have been wonderful

We wish both you and Johanna the best as you and many of us travel this
uncertain path.  Best regards,

Barbara Quackenbush