> From: Martha J. Rohrer <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Sinemet and protein
> Date: Saturday, 20 July 1996 10:24
>

> The normal source of dopamine is the amino acid, Tyrosine. Dopamine, in
> addition to its function as a neurotransmitter, is the source of
> adrenaline in the human body. One dopamine pathway is to produce
> norepinephrine, which is, in turn, converted to epinephrine -- or
> adrenalin. It is no wonder that those with limited dopamine available
> cannot tolerate stress, for it seems the "fight or flight" response
> competes with the neurotransmitter function.

That is very interesting information for me, Martha.  Dr. Chan is not
directly connected with our study, only in so far as Professor Tong is
interacting with both.  So I am not privy to Daniel's results.

Our survey includes several questions to both carer and sufferer based
around depression, mental state, excitement, etc.  It was when Dr. Chan
heard of this that he first expressed interest in our results.

One of the questions we may be able to answer in China is whether the
reported low incidence of PD among people of Asian origin is really a low
incidence, or just a lack of gross observable symptoms due to the methods
a different culture uses to handle stress.

> We do enjoy reading your messages, Jim.

Thank you. BTW, I have just finished watching the opening of the Olympic
Games in Atlanta, and I wonder how the appearance of Mohammed Ali as the
final torch bearer will affect the profile of PD world wide.

Of course, most of the world might be unaware that Ali suffers from PD.
Perhaps we should see to it that they do know.  Supporters of the Udall
Bill now before the US senate might like to consider this, if they haven't
already done so.

I am sure that is was the high profile of such people as Rock Hudson that
did so much to direct public attention to AIDS.  Many more people suffer
form PD than AIDS, And PD kills (sorry, there isn't another word) just as
surely; it just takes longer.

The profile of the average sufferer that is emerging as I devote more
attention to PD is of a person who, before contracting the disease, was
active in community affairs, and was very self-reliant.  Subsequent to
diagnosis, most appear to go into an initial decline, giving up positions
with charities, sporting clubs, etc., cutting most social ties, sometimes
even within the family, and becoming introspective.  Some never pull up
form this nose-dive, and their life crashes, often bringing down those
around them.

Thankfully, most often due to the aid and encouragement of a "co-pilot",
most recover their mental balance, and start to fly level again.  There is
still bumpy weather in front of them, but the initial danger is passed.

>From the bottom of our hearts, thanks, "co-pilots".

Jim