This introduction is a revision of an earlier 'message' -on 6/2 to be exact,
which had a blank "Subject" space.  I later learned that this turns off some
people.  I received only one response, but by filling in the "Subject" this
time I hope for more comments.  I feel that I have had an 'interesting'
background................

I have been somewhat surprised at the number of hospitals these days that
offer the pallidotomy procedure.  I consider myself very fortunate in that I
got into the program at Emory early on.  I had my first pallidotomy on the
right brain in July 1994, and a second one on the left brain in August 1995.
The results have been 'spectacular'!  My wild, disabling dyskinesias are past
history [so far!], and I no longer freeze for hours at a time.  I thank my
lucky stars, and count my blessings, every day...   I must add I got some
negatives after the second pallidotomy - my speech and my handwriting are a
little worse that before, and I seem to have  muscle problems - my body is
all distorted.  But I'll trade those problems for the dyskinesias on my right
side that are gone now, any time!

As to medication, I am on plain levodopa and permax - 3,050 mg of levodopa
daily - a 700 mg dose at 8 am, then 3 doses of 750 mg 4 hours apart.  I
finish the day with 100 mg at bedtime.  My permax is 4 doses of 1.125 mg for
a daily total of 4.5 mg.  During the past 25 years I have run the gamut of
treatment for Parkinsons, even had a tube in my gut for 2 years pumping in
liquid Sinemet.  I tried Sinemet, Sinemet CR, and plain levodopa.   But
nothing prevented wild dyskinesias, and freezing for hours on end.  Then came
the pallidotomies and blessed relief!

And, that's my story.  I do hope that I can contribute to the list in some
way in the future.
Mort [log in to unmask],Internet
-->