7/23/96 10:40pm
Hello, listmembers: I just received a message from the listserver asking me
to re-send this message of 7/22.  Somehow, it  apparently was rejected by
the computer, and not posted on the Daily Digest.  Hope this attempt to
re-send it works.

from: Ivan Mfowethu Suzman ([log in to unmask])
.
>LISTMEMBERS: Please consider responding to these thoughts from the coast of
Maine. We need to change the way we think about some BASIC issues...

>   I have been participating in our list since late March, 1996.  Here are FOUR
> ESSENTIAL OBSERVATIONS that I know that we must add to our consciousness:
>
>         1. PARKINSON's should be renamed DOPAMINE DEFICIENCY DISORDERS
>
>Is it as obvious to any of you as it is to me that "Parkinson's" is a
confusing name??!!  Why not recognize the obvious: we are affected by a
GROUP of closely-related metabolic disorders.  Why not use a name that
EXPLAINS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING TO US??

>         2. WORLDWIDE, MANY OF US ARE PEOPLE OF COLOR
>
>    I wonder if any anthropologist or epidemiologist has published anything
on the frequency of Parkinson's (or more properly, Dopamine Deficiency
Disorders) in various national origin, racial or language-speaker
populations. Surely it is not a Europeans-only metabolic disorder.

>    I wonder if Dopamine Deficiency Disorders vary by genetic type.

>         3. INCLUDED AMONG US ARE LESBIANS, BISEXUALS AND GAY MEN.
>
>The regular contributors to our list who are lesbians, bisexuals and gay
men have never revealed their sexual orientiations.  The emotional
challenges that
>these members of our community face are burdensome.  All of us must learn
to be inclusive and flexible.  Opposite-gender couples are only one of many
role models for our community.

>Our effectiveness in Washington will be enhanced if we are more sensitive
to diversity.

>          4. CONGRESSPERSONS, not CONGRESSMEN!
>
>We will all benefit from using all-embracing language. I wonder if women
who are members of Congress or Senators will NOT be as positive about our
Udall Bill if they are called "Congressmen!"

>In the world of publicy policy-making, our spokesPERSONS must be very
careful to learn, and enjoy, language which HONORS DIVERSITY.