V. R. Peyton wrote:

> an old time dr. once gave me calcium supplements for muscle cramps. I
> thought he was crazy until it worked.

Calcium, magnesium, and potassium are all of possible concern in muscle
cramping, depending on the reason for the cramp. I have a special
concern for people with PD because dairy products may halt Sinemet
absorption. I fear that PWP may avoid dairy products, thus losing an
abundant source of calcium. If this calcium is not made up in other
ways, muscle cramping, bone weakening, and other conditions could occur.
Calcium is also implicated in hypertension and some of the symptoms of
PMS, such as irritability.

However, calcium supplements are thought to contribute to gallstones in
some people, so I recommend that supplements be discussed with a
physician. I also recommend that you ask the physician for referral to a
registered dietitian, who can determine how much calcium and other
minerals of concern your diet already includes, and can recommend
alternate dietary sources of calcium as well as the best supplements for
you.

Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD