Syd,

Last Friday my APDA Information & Referral Center had a program on fall
prevention.  During the discussion and participation time, an elderly
gentleman, walking with a cane, slowly came to the front of the room.  "I
would like to show everyone how I cope with falling," he said.   With which
he immediately fell forward to his knees as we all gasped.  He looked up from
his knees with a sheepish grin and said, "Knee pads!"  He rose up from his
knees slowly with the help of his cane, pulled up his pant leg, and showed us
the knee pads that he wears every day under his trousers. Our speaker, who
was a physical therapist, said that if you usually fall in a certain
direction or a certain way, then it is possible to "plan" for falls, which,
of course,  was the message our friend from the audience was trying to show
us.  T

The physical therapist also said that if exercising and consciously thinking
about how we must move our feet when we walk or turn in places that are
difficult for us doesn't work, then it is time to think about using a walker.
 She told us about a U-Step Walker that was designed just for parkies and is
particularly good for those who usually fall backward.  If you wish
information about this walker, I can get it and post it for everyone.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Susan Reese
APDA YOPD I&R Center
2100 Pfingsten Road