We would like to add ourselves to the list.
Michael and I are from Billings Montana.  Both my family and his parents
live here.  My mother inlaw was diagnosed with PD about 2 years ago,
although we believe she has had it for a lot longer than that.  But it seems
that as soon as she was definitely diagnosed with PD she went downhill
rapidly.  As if giving in to it. She said that it is a dehabilitating
disease and doesn't try too hard to fight it.  I worked in a nursing home
for 6 months and my mother is an assistant administrator at another nursing
home (My mom was the first one to think Dorothy might have PD).  Before I
left the nursing home I talked to the physical therapist and she gave me
several exercises to help her with certain muscles in her body.  She just
needs to be constantly reminded to do them.  Sometimes I worry that if she
was allowed to she would just lay there and let it take over. Luckily I have
2 reasons that keep her going.  I have 2 sons Devon at 2 and Matthew at 7,
she watches them when I need a babysitter or just a break.  Matthew has
adjusted to helping his grandmother in and out of cars etc.  and Devon makes
her feel needed and useful.  Her tremors seem to decrease when she is
watching my kids and can forget about it for awhile.  Unfortunately she
slips into a depression more and more often.
Her tremors are less than they were, but are still there.  She has to have
clerks write out her check for her, and some days (not always)she is
embarrassed to go out into public.
He husbnad is also going through a depressionof his own, but handling it
different.  Unfortunately his comes out in anger and frustration.  He wants
to do more for her and would if he could, but lack of finances and insurance
have stopped him.  (The same thing that stopped her from going to a dr.)
Dorothy is 70 years old and he is 60.
Dorothy is now seeing a dr once a year, but since she doesn't have insurance
the dr only wants to see her once a year.  Shouldn't she be seeing more of
her neuroligist if she is going downhill????  They do pay the dr bills, just
not with insurance.  But dr's prefer insurance.
I am also frustrated at how to help her feel better about herself and to not
give in.
She belongs to a support group I think.  But they don't seem to meet often
and not at all during the summer. As far as we know anyway.  Does anyone
know any different?
Dorothy has the tremors, shuffle and mask or flat look.  She can get rid of
the shuffle when reminded.  She is ashamed of having PD and feels as if
everrryone is staring at her.  Her mind is fine, although frustrated.
She is taking eldypryl and it seems to help some.
Does anyone know of a support group that goes on during the summer in
Billings Montana?
Laurie