On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Brian Collins wrote:

 > Subject: When to start Sinemet.
>
> Hello everyone.  I would like to hear your views on a subject which (if my
> opinion is correct, could relieve a lot of suffering in the early years of
> PD. In discussions with other Parkies, I frequently hear that the doctor/
> neurologist tries a variety of drugs with varying success, and tells the
> patient that he is trying to postpone the introduction of Levodopa (Sinemet,
> Madopar, etc) so that there is something in reserve for when the symptoms
> get really bad. This happened in my case: when I was diagnosed (nearly 17

Brian, I raised this very question with my neurologist who acknowledged
that this is controversial among neurologists. He prescribed Sinemet for
me from the very outset saying there was no advantage to delaying
levodopa therapy.
I wonder if the age of the Parkie affects this decision.

  Sid Roberts   66/dx2
  [log in to unmask]       Youngstown, Ohio