                                 RTK.NET Mail 176855   Jul 25 22:44:43 1996

Well, I wanted a catchy subject line, you can do whatever you want, of
course.  I have recently heard that at least one group was urged to add
a sentence like this to their post cards, "Please make sure that all of
the money goes to research and not educational programs"  The reason I've
heard for this is that the major Parkinson's organizations feel that this
is their role.  I heard this second or third hand and may have gotten parts
of this message wrong.  If so, I apologize.

The key question is, "Do we want to give the Udall bill the best shot of
passing in the 104th congress?"  If you do, the messages we send must be
clear and simple:  Cosponsor the S. 684/H.R. 1462, get the bill onto the
floor, do everything you can to get this bill passed in the 104th.

"Cosponsor S.684/H.R. 1462 but change it so that it prohibits the use of
funds for educational purposes" is not a simple message.

We are starting to sense a new mood on the Hill.  Legislators are just
beginning to feel that the Udall bill is something they'll have to deal with
in some way.  No one doubts the bill will win if it goes to a vote, but
we have to demonstrate that the Parkinson's community is fairly unified in
its support for the Udall bill _and_ we have to give the impression that
the Udall bill can be taken care of with a relatively small amount
of floor time.  Adding a line asking for changes to the Udall bill will
undercut the powerful impression the Parkinson's community has made.

Sherri Cave