                                 RTK.NET Mail 176873   Jul 26 00:14:14 1996

I am still confidant we will win in both the House and Senate _if_ it comes
up for a vote.  I don't think that Smith's bill would pass, because many
legislators would not vote for legislation that brings back the fetal tissue
ban, particularly one on a single disease.  There is a piece of diabetes
research legislation being pushed for as well.  If we set a precedent of
getting behind a version of the Udall bill banning fetal tissue research,
we would not only do great damage to other disease groups for whom fetal
tissue holds great promise, we would certainly lose support or at least
severely damage relations with legislators who are supporting both bills.

I've met twice with an Arkansas Rep. who is hesitant to cosponsor bills that
aren't in his committee because often what comes out is different than what
he agreed to, and his name is still on it.  This is what we'd be doing to
many of our cosponsors if we got behind a fetal tissue ban on Parkinson's
research.  In particular, Hatfield and Waxman, the bill's principle cosponsors
,
worked hard to end the ban, and supporting the Smith bill would be stabbing
them in the back.  We would also lose the support of the American Medical
Association and the major scientific organizations and individual scientists
who have been supporting us.

Another significant point about Smith's bill is that it replaces "direct
Parkinson's disease research" with "Parkinson's and related programs"
(I don't have the exact wording, but you get the idea).  In that case,
Parkinson's could theoretically receive no additional direct research money
if the bill passed.

But the real threat of the fetal tissue issue is not that fetal tissue
research could be banned but that the threat of this debate will keep
the bill off the floor.  In the Senate, it could be brought up in
conjunction with the NIH Revitalization Act that the Udall bill is attached
to.  The House is not expecting to deal with NIH reauthorization legislation
this congress, and I've heard it suggested that it's the threat of a
fetal tissue debate that's keeping it off the floor.

*sigh*...I seem to remember a time when we believed that if we proved the
bill could pass by getting more than half of the Senators and Congresspersons
signed on, then our job would be nearly complete.

Sherri Cave