> From: Camilla Flintermann
> I want to second the post from "olquilty" about surgery, hospitals, etc.
> Peter's surgeon claimed he didn't know anything about drug
interactions--
> "I'm not a medical doctor"--and that should be up to the
pharmacists.Well,

That's just great, isn't it! <boo>

"Buyer beware", huh?

When I needed surgery for an (un-pd-related) problem, I had to explain
about medication interactions to:

My GP - in case he ordered medication for me when I was "out to it".
My surgeon - so that I would not get any cross medication pre-, post-, or
during op.
The anesthetist - who orders pre-op medications such as tranquilizers(!).
My neurologist - so that he could interact with and advise the other
medicos (and know I was in hospital).
The Director of Nursing ( I was in a small private hospital, so *could*
get access), since it is no good telling busy individual nurses on shift
work.
The CEO- so that he was aware who would get sued if it all fell apart.
Phew!

It is bad kharma that this is necessary at all, but as I have said
previously said, there is an abysmal lack of knowledge in the medical
profession about PD generally. Also, with older sufferers, any observed PD
symptoms are just brushed off as "old age-itis".

There may well arise occasions where the PWD might be unconscious, or
unable otherwise to communicate, or where an emergency  exists, and
cross-medication makes matters worse, instead of better.

I would strongly advise all PWD's (great acronym, by the way; conveys a
little dignity, at least ,<g>) and/or carers, to make a list of the
personages above on a card, to be used in emergencies. And maybe on the
other side, a list of "no-go's" in cross-medication.  A copy could be
attached to the bed-head clipboard, or wherever.

My heart goes out to such as indigent PWD's with no carers and, say,
Alzheimer's. Boy!

Jim