------=_NextPart_000_01BB4817.A383EB80

I think that the information enclosed is important for everyone to see.

I t covers two topics -
1. The contra-indication of using Demerol/Pethedine (merperedine)  with
Eldepryl (selegiline hydrochloride)
and
2. The contra-indications of a range of other drugs for persons with PD.

The paper is (as it says) a contribution to another conference.  I take no
responsibility for its accuracy or otherwise.

Please take careful note of the warning to notify your physician of any
adverse drug reactions.  To this *I* would add, *NEVER* change your
medication regimen without consultation with your physician.

If you think any of the following affects you, PLEASE bring it to the
attention of your physician.

I apologise for the alarmist tone of the stories from the support groups.
I felt I had to leave them in, as I did not consider it my right to alter
someone else's posting.

Jim

------=_NextPart_000_01BB4817.A383EB80

Problem Drugs in PD
Contributed by Alan Bonander
Surgery Problems
There has been much concern about drugs that might cause problems in =
hospitals. There are plenty and the anesthesiologists are not aware of =
any problems specific to PD patients. The patient will need to do the =
following:
* Talk to the anesthesiologist before surgery giving them a copy of this =
drug list.=20
* Upon registration for services at a hospital, give them a copy of this =
list.=20
* Make sure your neurologist has a copy of this drug list and is =
involved in your reason for surgery.
In one support group I know of, a women who had taken her husband to the =
hospital for what was to be over-night surgery. Her husband walked in, =
had the surgery and died on or about the fifth day in the hospital. The =
wife did not inform the powers to be that her husband was taking =
Eldepryl much less that he had PD.=20
In my support group, I know of three who have had minor surgery about =
three years ago. What was to be an over-nighter ended being a six to ten =
day hell. They were in and out of comas, transported to psy ward, and =
almost killed due to drug conflicts during surgery.

DRUGS THAT MAY INTERFERE IN THE MANAGEMENT OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE
Published by Young Parkinson's Support Network of California
Revision: 04/95 YPSN of CA=20
This list has been reviewed by our medical adviser. Always notify your =
physician of any adverse effects of drug therapy.

Warning to Users of ELDEPRYL Contemplating Surgery
Sandoz Pharmaceuticals has issued a warning of reports of fatal =
interactions between Eldepryl (Selegiline Hydrochloride) and merperidine =
known as Demerol, and other trade names. Patients contemplating surgery =
are advised to bring this notice to the attention of their physician. =
Further information can be obtained from pharmacies - ask for =
prescribing information - or contact Sandoz Pharmaceuticals at =
1-800-631-8184.

OTHER DRUGS WITH POTENTIAL TO ALTER THE SYMPTOMS OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE=20
Some drugs employed in the treatment of non-neurologic conditions may =
alter or influence the brain's dopamine system. These drugs, when given =
to a Parkinson's patient, have the potential to alter the symptoms of =
Parkinson's disease. Should a physician prescribe a drug on this list, =
the patient should make sure the prescribing physician:=20
* is aware of the patient's Parkinson's disease and the drug's potential =
for altering disease symptoms,=20
* is aware of the patient's current drug therapy for Parkinson's disease =
and any other disease(s),
* explains to the patient both the benefits and the potential side =
effects of the drug therapy and what action to take for adverse side =
effects.
Drug Type:
        Trade Name       Generic Name
------------------       -----------------
Antidepressant:
        Asendin          Amoxapine
        Nardil           Phenelzine
        Parnate          Tranylcypromine
        Triavil          (Contains Perphenazine)

Antipsychotic:
        Haldol           Haloperidol
        Loxitane         Loxapine
        Mellaril         Thioridazine
                         (Mellaril in low dosage is acceptable)

        Moban            Molindone
        Navane           Thiothixene
        Orap             Pimozide
        Prolixin         Fluphenazine
        Permitil         Fluphenazine
        Serentil         Mesoridazine
        Stelazine        Trifluoperazine
        Taractan         Chlorprothixene
        Thorazine        Chlorpromazine
        Tindal           Acetophenazine
        Trilafon         Perphenazine
        Vesprin          Triflupromazine

Antivomiting/Gastrointestinal:
        Compazine        Prochlorperazine
        Reglan           Metoclopramide
        Torecan          Thiethylperazine

Blood Pressure:
        Raudixin         Rauwolfia Serpentina

Miscellaneous:
        Serpasil         Reserpine

Post-Op Medication:
        Harmonyl         Deserpine
        Moderil          Rescinnamine
        Rauverid         None
        Rauwiloid        None
        Wolfina          None

Possible Potential:
        Aldomet          Alpha-methyldopa
        Buspar           Buspirone
        Lithobid         Lithium

Contributed by:Alan Bonander([log in to unmask])=20
Last modified: Mon May 15 10:49:38 1995

------=_NextPart_000_01BB4817.A383EB80--