Please note that this msg is forwarded. If you wish to respond
privately, please address to [log in to unmask], not to me (Margaret
Monty). Thanks.

From:          [log in to unmask]
Date:          Sat, 20 Jul 1996 12:19:26 -0400
Subject:       Parkinson's syndrome

Although I realize my illness is rare, and consequently little (time
and money) is spent on researching it, I thought I would let you know
about my strange ailment. Eight years ago, on October 31, 1988, I
attempted to kill myself by carbon monoxide poisoning. It was not my
first suicide attempt. I had overdosed on my father's high blood
pressure medication twice before. Each attempt had been aborted before
the drugs got into my system. Following the CO poisoning, I was in a
coma for four days. When I finally emerged, it was determined that I
had incurred damage to the corpus striatum, the part of the basal
ganglia that receives dopamine. I wish there were someway I could
highlight the word receives, because that, and the fact that my
condition is not progressive, is what makes my Parkinsonism atypical.
Because I lack any dopamine receptors on the right side of my brain, I
have almost relentless bradykinesia on the left side of my body.
Sometimes,  I think it would be better if I had damaged both sides
equally. Then my left side wouldn't have to struggle so much to keep
up with my right. Also, I have an almost complete lack of static
standing balance, and my voice is very soft and monotonic. Now, I know
that I "Asked for this," and after reading the "Letter to God," I
should feel badly for the people that are only going to get worse. But
Ms. Monty, I was eighteen when this happened, and although I was told
that I would see gradual improvement, I haven't seen much in the past
six years. I don't want to live the rest of my life like this. I have
heard about the neurotrophic factor (drug)? they have been working on
developing. I would like to know how much you know about this, and
whether they have found a way to regenerate brain cells.