Alan and Ken
I also remember a late night in WDC. Several of us shared some very personal
thoughts about our own progress in acccepting life with chronic illness.  You
are both correct in topic of conversations...............David wasn't there,
I did share my poetry............and we did discuss suicide at the time.  A
very good discussion as I remember.  None of us were ready to take the
step...but most had thought about it as a possibility in the future.

I don't know that suicide will be my choice for termination
(I just listened to an interview with Kevorkian on my car radio this morning,
but did not take down his phone number).  I am not contemplating it in the
near future.  .But I certainly hope that my family and physician understand
my wishes and will be cooperative and allow me death with dignity.

 Accepting death as a part of life cycle is difficult for all of us.
Understanding that successful treatment includes allowing one to pass on from
this world is a part of the healing process for our families as our bodies
deteriorate.

I was touched by David's comments re: the 4th of July party and not wanting
to face the questions about use of time/future plans.   I find those
questions to be emotionally draining myself and those who ask, are frequently
not expecting or really interested in the answers.  I am sometimes tempted to
say "I am taking an advanced course in geriatrics, because I don't anticipate
being able to grow old with the rest of the crowd and wanted to make sure I
didn't miss any of the infirmities that they may later experience."

Seems like a heavy discussion for a beautiful summer day.  I should go work
in the garden (in the shade) .  Hope someone else has  cheerier thoughts to
share.

Rita