                                 RTK.NET Mail 178322   Jul 30 18:06:38 1996

The question of what would happen when someone without PD took Sinemet
reminded me of something the Amgen researcher who addressed the PAN
forum said.  While it's certainly quite plausible that someone without
PD who takes Sinemet would have little trouble because they simply stop
making dopamine in the interim, some researchers think that the
dopaminergic cells are able to regulate the release of the dopamine
already present in the brain at any given time.  If I understood him
correctly, I think this means some people can hold onto excess dopamine
and release it  later.

Autopsies of Parkinson's patients at various stages have shown that the
approx. 80% of the dopamine producing cells people have lost around the
time of diagnosis have not actually died but have ceased to function.  At
later stages, these cells do actually die, and one theory about problems
such as dyskinesia and strong OFF times is that these cells still serve
to help regulate dompamine levels until they actually die off.  One of the
most hopeful things about the upcoming GDNF (glial-cell-line-derived
nerve growth factor) trials is that in addition to improving the function
of existing cells and preventing further cell death, they might restore
the function of these non-functioning  cells that have not yet died.

Regarding the confirmation of diagnosis with typical or atypical PD, there
is the prohibitively expensive PET scan.  Does anyone know if the
alternative scan (sorry I forget the name) there have been recent papers
on will be reasonably inexpensive and available soon?  Will it distinguish
between PD and certain types of PD plus, like Shy Dragers?

Regarding the original poster's questions about her father's visual problems:
I think the usual visual problems with PD are reduced contrast sensitivity
which manifests most often as a difficulty focusing and adjusting to
changing lighting.  Scotoma, where visual acuity is lessened in one area
of your visual field or you see shadows or colored patches, is usually,
I think, most apparent in the center of the field but could also occur in
another part of the field.  But I get that effect from migraine auras, and
it would not make me miss the food on one part of my plate even though the
usual location of mine is similar to your father's.  He really needs to be
evaluated specifically for this difficulty, because it may not be his vision
but more a type of aphasia.  Did your father have an MRI as part of his
diagnosis or at least a CT scan?  Often only younger patients are given
these tests before diagnosis, but in an atypical case I think it's even
more important to rule out a stroke or any type of tumor.

Good luck, distant caregiving isn't easy, especially when no one can agree
on what to believe and who to trust.

Sherri