Dear Barb,

Thankyou for your friendly welcome.
It's good to be back in touch, Margaret and I  have missed you and the other
regulars.
I trust  you are keeping everything under control and we  look forward to
resuming our  acquaintance with the other list members, but I think I will
just reintroduce ourselves by saying that Margaret has had a major change in
medication in the last twelve months or so.

This was because she became quite paranoiac.  The principal changes  over a
lengthy stay of 12 weeks in hospital,   were that Artane was discontinued
and she was introduced to the drug Clozaril  (normally given for
schizophrenia) but also having the useful "side-effect" of lessening
Sinemet-induced dyskinesias.     Before Clozaril, Margaret could tolerate
only about 300 mg of Sinemet daily; now she can have about twice that amount
and her mobility has improved.

The best change though is in her mental condition.   Apparently the artane
was acting as an insidious poison, that had affected her mental alertness
long before its more extreme effects became obvious.  Now, with the benefit
of hindsight, I can  tell you this, but at the time it was far from obvious.
At any rate,  I feel I have regained my former companion and wife after a
lengthy absence.

After investigating the pros and cons of a palidotomy,  the wheels have been
put in motion for  a sub-thalatomy.   This is apparently thought to be more
appropiate to her particular needs and we look forward to learning more from
list members.   The sub-thalatomy operation  is new here, and is still being
considered by the Australian medical ethics committee so it will be some
months yet before it can be done.

Best regards to all,
Mark

Mark  Atyeo