Hello Every-body around the globe!

I am 48 years old and I was diagnosed with P.D. in 1990.  My severest
symptom is bi-lateral resting tremor of arms (predomenantly right), legs,
feet and chin.  They say that tremor is one of the symptoms most difficult
to control with medication and for me that seems to be true.  Under the
guidance of my neurologist we recently increased my levadopa intake up to
1800mg. over a 24 hour period.  It did bring the tremor under control but
the side effects did not make it worthwhile, (nausea, depression, anxiety,
and vivid dreaming).  Since then I have been titrating a normal and slow
release levadopa with some success.  I find that in my case a four hourly
dose of 100mg. Madopar (normal release) and 200mg. Madopar HBS (slow
release) taken 1 hour after the normal release gives me the best result,
over a four hour period.  I take this five times a day.  After a severe
period of depression (which was out of character for me) my G.P. convinced
me I would benefit from an anti-depressant, which I reluctantly agreed to
after realising I was not going to be able to get that black dog of my back
under my own mind power.  (I use meditation and had found that helpfull in
the past).  He prescibed 75mg. of Prothiaden (dothiepin hydrochloride) and I
feel like my old self again.  My optimism has been restored to me, I am
sleeping better, and no more nightmares.  I have learnt to live with a
certain amount of tremor and have developed coping strategies such as
walking on a motorised treadmill, pottering around in the garden, or going
for a walk, until my medication "kicks in". The possible mental or cognitive
deterioration possible with P.D. frightens me more than any physical loss.

Having said that I do feel optimistic that a cure, not just surgery to
relieve the symptoms of P.D. is imminent, and here I would like to applaud
the American Parkies who so successfully band together across their country
to bring pressure to bear on those with the power to allocate those all
important research dollars.  Great work!  You don't realise it but you
inspire many of us here in Aussie to keep trying to lift awareness here.
Myself and Celia Jones (also a [log in to unmask] subs.) co-ordinate a Young
Onset P.D. Support Group and have 32 members. As well as providing an
opportunity for us to meet new "parkie" friends, we have family days,
arrange education seminaar's, and participate actively in events that will
help to raise public awareness of P.D. such as Parkinson's Disease
Awareness Week.  We intend to participate in the World Walk Day this year.

I met Dr. Abraham Lieberman at our Third Australian National
Multi-Disciplinary Conference on Parkinson's Disease last year wich was held
in Hobart.  If any-one out there knows him please pass on my personal thanks
to him for his contributions to P.D. The logorithm he made available on the
net has been passed on to many Aussie Parkies.  If only more doctors would
be so accessable and ready to pass on their knowledge and information. The
fourth P.D. conference is to be held in Perth next year.  A great place for
a holiday by the way!

Lastly I would like to say a special hello to the Hollander Parkies on the
net.  I was born in De Hague, in Malaaka Straate. (probably spelt wrong).
My parents migrated to Australia in 1956.  My husband wanted to take me back
for a holiday as I have never been back but I feel it would be just a little
bejond my capabilities.  The thought of shaking in an airoplane seat for 30
hours in just a little to daunting.  But I would love to hear from any
Dutchies if you have the time and inclination to tell me a little about your
part of Holland.

I have only had my computor for two weeks now.  I am still in awe of the
fact that this letter is going to be read by so many of you!  Hope I can
work the spell check!

Regards Mary Thompson. [log in to unmask]