Dear Hannah-- there are indeed some similarities between Alzheimers (AD) and PD
in cases (about 30%) where PD includes a form of dementia. There was a man
in our support group who was first diagnosed with AD, then also with PD.
At a seminar I attended the statement was made that in postmortem exams there
are similar findings in the brains of both, but not identical--they are 2
different diseases.  I would guess that the distinguishing factor,beyond the
dementia they may share, would be that in AD the other physical symptoms of
PD are missing, and the person would not respond to PD meds. Can others add
to or clarify this?
Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter,78/6+ Oxford,OH <[log in to unmask]>