I have a very specific question to ask the nutritionists on the list.  My
sisters have been staying with my Mom and Dad this summer and doing some
experimentation with the meds to a) minimize the dementia to avoid using
clozaril, and b) optimize the sinemet and amantadine to avoid freeze-up
times.

Dad is totally tube fed.  IN addition to PD, he has a esophageal ulcer and a
stomach ulcer.  SO, the prescription is to give him his carafate by tube one
hour before his meds and Ensure Plus.  In trying to adjust to the protein
information from Kathrynne Holden - our questions is Should we give him his
meds WITH the carafate, or the carafate, wait 1/2 hour, then meds, wait 1/2
hour and then Ensure?  Or what other recommendation can anyone give?

We are surely believers in the protein interaction theory.  Last week the
Ensure provider sent a case of SUstacal - telling my mother that they were
the same.  Dad was considerably stiffer and did poorly for two days until my
sister read the labels and found that not only was the calorie count lower,
but the protein was 65% more - and it was inappropriate for Dad as a
complete nutritional substitute.

I would sincerely appreciate any input!

Sara Byron
daughter of Richard Byron, 79/ PD since '69