Milo Frey wrote:
> been a vegan for about the past 3 years after reading an article on
> animal vs plant protein in a Parkinson=92s newsletter.  She firmly beli=
eves
> that this helps her manage her PD symptoms.
>=20
> I am concerned that we get enough of the right protein with our
> vegetarian diet.  Lavon J. Dunne=92s NUTRITION ALMANAC 3rd Ed discusses
> protein.  It states that =93most vegetables and fruits are
> incomplete-protein foods.  To obtain a complete-protein meal from
> incomplete proteins, one must combine foods carefully so that those wea=
> in an essential amino acid will be balanced by those adequate in the sa=
me
> amino acid.=94  This raises the question of what plants, if any, are
> complete-protein foods?   How can we know what combination of
> incomplete-protein foods will result in a complete-protein meal?
>=20
> Milo Frey        [log in to unmask]

Dear Mr. Frey,
Thanks for your response, I am delighted that your wife is finding PD=20
easier to manage with use of plant protein. Regarding your first=20
question: Soy is commonly considered to be the only significant plant=20
source of complete protein, though quinoa has a fairly complete amino=20
acid profile, too.=20

You second question about combining incomplete-protein foods can be=20
answered differently now than it was a few years ago. It was previously=20
believed that plant foods must be combined at the same meal to provide=20
complete protein. That has now been revised. As long as you get servings=20
from cereal, vegetable, and fruit groups daily, including some from=20
nuts, seeds, and cooked dried beans, you will get complete protein even=20
if they are not consumed at the same meal. However, proteins are so=20
widely distributed that it would actually be difficult NOT to get at=20
least a small amount of complete protein at every meal.

Breakfast might be fruit juice, oatmeal, raisins and toast. Lunch could=20
be  bean soup with crackers and soy milk. Dinner could be a handful of=20
raw nuts, cooked rice, several vegetables, and herb tea. Except for=20
breakfast, you would get complete protein throughout the day.

I would add one note of caution, though. With PD, it can be very=20
difficult to get an adequate nutrient profile. And with a vegan diet, it=20
is quite possible to become deficient in B12. If your wife is not=20
already doing so, I would strongly recommend she ask her physician about=20
the advisability of using B12 supplements. In fact, a B complex might be=20
a good idea as well. And it can be very difficult to get adequate=20
calcium without use of dairy products. If your wife is post-menopausal=20
I'd check with the physician about calcium supplements. PD sometimes=20
engenders a sedentary lifestyle; combined with inadequate calcium (and=20
the vitamin D in fortified milk and in sunlight) it is quite possible to=20
produce weakening of the bones.

In short, I am far less concerned with her protein intake than with=20
possible deficiencies of the B vitamins, and vitamins A & D, as well as=20
calcium. While there are conditions which do not warrant use of=20
supplements, your physician can guide you in this matter. I would also=20
ask for a referral to a registered dietitian, who can examine a one-day=20
diet record and determine whether your wife is receiving adequate=20
nutrients.

Please let me know if this has been of benefit to you.
Best regards,
--=20
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538=20
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
You may wish to contact:
Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
for further information.