Byron, Sara wrote:

> I have a very specific question to ask the nutritionists on the list.
> Dad is totally tube fed.  IN addition to PD, he has a esophageal ulcer and a
> stomach ulcer.  SO, the prescription is to give him his carafate by tube one
> hour before his meds and Ensure Plus.  In trying to adjust to the protein
> information from Kathrynne Holden - our questions is Should we give him his
> meds WITH the carafate, or the carafate, wait 1/2 hour, then meds, wait 1/2
> hour and then Ensure?

Dear Sara,
Your father's age and condition may add to the uncertain nature of
sinemet absorption. Carafate will coat his stomach, and can hinder
absorption of some nutrients, such as calcium and magnesium. It may or
may not interfere with his sinemet.

I would try giving him the sinemet and Carafate simultaneously for a day
or two, observing his reactions. If this works well, it will make it
easier to administer medications and food.

If freezing increases, then give the Sinemet 30 minutes prior to the
Carafate.

Incidentally, is your father's ulcer medication-induced? If not, has his
physician explored antibiotic therapy for his ulcer? Some ulcers are
brought about by use of medications; most, however, are due to infection
caused by the H. pylori bacterium, and can be treated with antibiotics.
It may be that in view of your fathers current medication regimen, his
physicians have determined that this treatment is not possible for him.

Please let me know if this information is of benefit to you.

Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,